Friday, June 20, 2014

One year later

Waking up this morning I cannot express how grateful I was to see the sun shining in all its glory and that the rains had stopped.  A year ago today my family and I were evacuated from High River due to rising river waters. 


9 days later we were allowed to return home and view the damage, and oh boy was there damage!


We were one of the lucky families and though we took in 6 feet of water in the basement, our home was still structurally OK and we were able to start rebuilding.  Here we are one year later and the changes that have happened are extreme and so positive for us that I cannot imagine what life would look like if the flood had never happened. 


Over this last year my family has had some rocky moments, like when our puppy was killed in the street by a passing motorist, and for me personally, well, I lost some relationships that were very important to me.  I could lament and morn and go on and on about the hardships and all the negativity that has happened in the last year, but I would much rather celebrate the wins!



Wins like, finding the perfect little basement suite for myself in Calgary, and Dad selling the house in high river at a time when I was very unsure anyone would want to buy out there. As well as, wins like, my family being closer and working together to create awesome communication and cooperation in the cleanup and the aftermath of the floods. 


It is incredible what can change in a year and the amazing opportunities that can flow out of a tragedy.  I have received some of the most amazing opportunities for myself and my business just because I was affected by the floods last year.  It is one of the most humbling experiences I have ever been through, and I could not be more grateful for having gone through it.


Reflecting on the past year has allowed me to realize that I will always be stronger than I think I am.  I will always be able to handle whatever comes my way and I will be able to do it with a smile on my face and love in my heart because I know it may look dark in the moment, but a year down the road I just may be thanking my lucky stars for going through that event, emotion, or time. 


There is a saying "the universe will only give you as much as you can handle".  I don't think that is true... the universe will give you what it will give you, it is up to you to prove to yourself that you can handle it!!  

 
Our backyard in High River June 20, 2013
 
 
If you would like more info about the services Nicole provides please visit her website at www.intuitivebalance.ca
 



No comments:

Post a Comment